Monday, January 21, 2013

We All Can Recover

As a person who has recovered from schizophrenia I can understand how a person's mind can deceive them. The truth is that our minds have a remarkable amount of control over what and how we perceive ourselves and our world. I have had many beliefs that I now know are not true. And I wonder sometimes what I could have possibly been thinking.
I once believed that I had swam out into Lake Champlain and captured Champ (a local sea monster) with a rope. I hauled Champ back to the shore and burned it with gasoline. I remember telling people that some locals had killed our local legend. Although I had killed champ in broad daylight it was far from being a well known fact.
Its hard to say how are minds can have us believe such things as that. I was however locked into a frightening reality. This reality was as real to me as it is far fetched that I could have ever captured Champ with a rope. I suffered terribly from my bout with schizophrenia. I have recovered.
The point is that remarkable and miraculous things can happen. They can happen rather abruptly. I let go of all my beliefs at one specific moment in time. My life was changed. I moved past being afflicted by a mental illness to being a person who had a bright future. We all can change and we all can recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment