Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Over The Horizon

I did seasonal work as a ski instructor as a young adult. I liked the work but was always looking for new off-season jobs in the spring. If I had been a little more forward thinking I would have learned a trade for the off season. I didn't and so I went from job to job to job. This lasted until I was too consumed by mental illness to continue working.
The years of not keeping steady work were further perpetuated by my illness. I have gaps in my work history that can be attributed to my dealing with schizophrenia. I had prior to becoming ill been fired from a number of jobs. Lastly, I had been in trouble with the law. All in all I wasn't hopeful of what was over the horizon.
A year or two after I had been diagnosed I began studying chess. I was really interested in the game and had all the time in the world to study. I was desperate to have a means of supporting myself that would be stimulating. And I thought that if I devoted myself to studying chess I could possibly do well. I had even read that a person could potentially reach master level after 3 years of study.
I had no idea at that time what I would eventually do with myself. I hadn't had anyone tell me that I could be a speaker or a writer. I myself didn't know that this type of opportunity would be out there. And I wonder why professionals that I worked with didn't see this as something to encourage me to do. I am not getting any real income from what I do as of yet. I am however, happy with myself. I am now hopeful of what is over the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment