Monday, January 7, 2013

I'm An Uncle

I have an older sister, Anna. She is three years older than I am and is married. She has three children of which two are girls. The boy who is the youngest of the three is named Wyatt. His two older sisters are Elaina and Lauren. I have not ever met the younger two of the three children that are my nieces and nephew. When I met the oldest she (Elaina) was still an infant.
I will be going to Kentucky to see my sister later this month. I will get to meet Lauren and Wyatt for the first time. And this will be the first experience any of the three will have with me that they will be able to remember as adults.
I am unsure of what my role as an uncle is. I can remember my uncles and aunts well. My mom and dad each had two brothers. I wonder what the children will make of meeting their mom's brother for the first time. The oldest Elaina I believe can grasp what it means meet her uncle. And I wonder what she will make of this experience.
I have been out of the picture in the lives of my nieces, nephew, sister and her husband for years. I am looking forward to having that be behind us all. I am anxiously awaiting the day I get to interact with my sisters kids. I might read them a story or play a game with them. It is my hope that one day we will all know each other well. Just as I feel I know my aunts and uncles.

No comments:

Post a Comment