Saturday, January 26, 2013

How I Became Homeless

I was 20 years old when I moved to California. I was a ski instructor at the time and wanted to experience the big mountains of the west. It was spring when I made the move. The season was just finishing at my home mountain. The season at Mammoth, where I moved, was still going strong. I skied many days in the warm sunny climate that spring. The experience of skiing that mountain was well worth the wait.
I had tried to move out to Mammoth about a year earlier. I decided on Mammoth as my destination of choice in high school. My decision was mostly based on steepness and length of the ski season. I unfortunately got in a car accident driving back to my parents house. I had gone out to purchase a road map that I would have used to guide me to California. The cost of repairs made it impossible to afford the trip.
The ski season did eventually finish up at Mammoth and I got two jobs working in restaraunts. I had moved out of the employee lodging that I had originally stayed in and got an apartment with a new friend. We spent that entire summer together. We had a season long lease for the place. As the end of the lease was drawing near I began looking for a new apartment. My roommate and I had trouble finding something affordable in this resort town.
My roommate cut his losses at one point and headed back to his parents. The end of the lease was within a week's time and we had found nothing. It wasn't too much longer however, before I did find a place. It was a nice three bedroom apartment with three floors. One was a basement but it was finished and had two bedrooms. The third bedroom was on the top floor. I stayed there and worked until the ski season drew near.
Over the summer and fall I had worked enough to take some time off before the ski season. I decided I would sell my car for some extra money. I first looked into selling it to a dealer but wasn't happy with that offer. It was not very long before one man in town made me an offer. I was going through the Carl's Jr. drive though. The manager asked me if I would give him the car for a large amount of marijuana. I agreed.
The winter was fast approaching I had even begun working at the mountain doing odd jobs for the ski school. I was shampooing the rug in the instructor's locker room and other such things. And I was beginning to sell pot for income. Unfortunately I went into town on my new bicycle that I had purchased. I put some bags of pot in my back pack and headed into town. I was riding along at one point and without my noticing all the bags of pot I had fell out of my back pack and onto the road. I had forgotten to zip up the pocket.
I still had quite a bit of weed left and was as I said working at the mountain. And so I was doing alright. Then I went to a young man in town and asked if he wanted any marijuana. He did and I brought him to my apartment. A few days later I went home to discover that all my pot had been stolen. The amount of work I was getting at the mountain was not enough to pay my rent. And as a result I would spend a portion of that next winter living in a storage unit.

No comments:

Post a Comment