Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Healing and Empowerment

The new year has come. This occasion has spurred thought in me as I am sure it has in all of you. I have taken time to reflect on 2012. This past year was without a doubt one of my very best years. I was able in this past year to come to a place of empowerment. I pieced together my broken life.
I had tried and failed to turn my life around in years prior. I had trouble figuring out where to begin in my quest to recovery. I thought for a long time that my recovery would be a matter of effort instead of healing. I was told of the importance of exercise and so I stayed very physically active. I was not fulfilled on a deeply personal level.
I now see recovery differently. I know that we need to get to a place of empowerment to fully recover. This place is where the paths of healing and personal fulfillment converge. Once they converge they manifest into a new life. The pieces of a formerly broken life are reassembled naturally. In my case I nearly stumbled upon this outcome to my recovery.
I came to this place of empowerment from knowing that my experiences had equipped me to be able to help others with similar issues as myself. This will not necessarily be the case of others who have recovered from a mental illness. They can however, take a great deal of confidence and inner strength from having faced adversity.
Healing is a natural function of the human body and mind. It takes time. And so if you do not see a way out of your suffering allow healing to come to you. We do not need to force ourselves to get better. We just need to be able to make the most out of the process of healing and recovery when we are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment