Monday, January 28, 2013

Food Budget

I can remember the day like it was yesterday; I was approved for food stamps. I get the maximum benefits, $200. When I learned that I would receive this amount of money for food each month I was ecstatic. At the time I was living in my now former group home. It has now been about 3 months since that day and I am still very grateful for the assistance I receive.
I have had to make some adjustments to my diet since moving into my current apartment. At Meadowview (my former group home) I was provided a salad at every meal as well as healthy snacks. The $200 dollars I get a month is enough thanks in part to the community meals offered in Brattleboro. There is a meal offered each day. However, to afford 2 meals a day for an entire month with only $200 you must spend under $3.50 per meal.
This means eating hot dogs and pasta a little more than I would like to admit. Hot dogs are basically the only meat I can afford to purchase. There will be canned vegetables offered at the food shelf on occasion. These make ramen noodles more appetizing and nutritious. I have found that bananas are very affordable. The organic bananas I buy are less than $1 per pound.
I have been able to manage this circumstance of having a monthly food budget of $200 quite well. And I eat fairly well. There is still much room for improvement in not only meeting my nutritional needs but providing myself with appetizing meals. This is the primary thing that will change as my financial situation improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment