Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Why I Write

I live off of social security and food stamps. I have schizophrenia. I've been fired from more jobs than I can even count. I don't understand why I have had so much trouble keeping work. I am a motivated and strong person. I try hard at being a good worker.
I remember being 22 living in a small college town. I was a bus boy in a restaraunt. They fired me for putting too much chocolate syrup in the milkshakes and serving only large sodas. I gave up at being able to work right then and there.
It was at this point in my life that I began to be consumed by symptoms of my illness. I eventually went back to the workforce but only intermittently. My illness and my recovery took the place of having a job.
Now, 10 years after I was fired from the restaraunt, I am a writer. I still do not work. I am consumed, not by symptoms of schizophrenia, but by my desire to share. I want to share what my recovery experience has taught me. I want to share my story.
I need to write. I would otherwise feel as though I was a drain on society. I'm well aware of the fact that many people out there think people, like myself, are what is wrong with this country. They think those of us who can't work should not receive public assistance.
I want to be an asset to society, so I write. It's simply the best I can do. I believe my work is important. And I don't think I'm a drain on society. It took a long time for me to see it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment