Wednesday, October 24, 2012

My Years In School


In school I was regarded by my peers as being quite smart. However, you wouldn't have known it to look at my grades. School challenged me. Maybe not intellectually, but emotionally I was definitely challenged. When I was in school I was a misfit of sorts. Although I was popular I was also quite rebellious. My grades suffered as my attention was directed more towards being cool than having a promising future. I did well on tests but rarely handed in any home work.

My trouble in school began in the second grade. The teacher I had permanently put me in what we called my "office." My office was an easel in the corner of the room. I could not interact with any of the other students from there. I also could not disrupt the class so much. Therefore, school began being more of a chore and less of a joy. I had some good times in school. How well I performed depended largely on how well I interacted with my teachers. I was seen as too disruptive and always received punishments from the more rigid teachers. I can remember a time in either the 5th or 6th grade that I spent a whole week doing class work in the gymnasium.

There were teachers I did well with too. There are several teachers I had that positively influenced me. I think of all of them the one that helped me the most was Joann. She was the director of the "Oz" program. I was enrolled in this program during my senior year in high school. Oz was specifically for students at risk of dropping out. There were maybe 8 students in Oz and 2 teachers. I don’t believe any of us took any classes; we all studied independently for the most part. I think Joann helped me believe in myself and taught me that was an asset instead of a problem.

I think most of all I lacked direction when I was in school. The classes I took were all college prep courses. However, I had no intention of receiving higher education. I didn't realize yet how important those years were to my becoming a successful and productive adult. I think I would have been well suited for vocational schooling. I think I could have graduated better prepared for the real world.

I do not regret not taking my schooling more seriously as much anymore. I believe that the life I have lived has value just the way it is. This is regardless of mistakes I have made and the difficulties I have experienced. I am a productive adult and have great aspirations. My experience in school is not my fondest of memories but it is in part what made me who I am today and that is something I am happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment