Saturday, October 6, 2012

Lessons In Life and Disillusionment


I had a life I was happy with at one time. I was fresh out of high school and following my passion. I was a ski instructor. I had a carefree attitude which led me to believe that all I wanted to do was enjoy life.

This was a long time ago now. My life since then has mostly been consumed by my mental illness and recovery. Schizophrenia has had a devastating affect on the quality of my life. Through recovery and having schizophrenia I have also developed into a more significant human being. I have a voice. I have a purpose.

Now I must reclaim what is rightfully mine. That is a meaningful life that brings me happiness. It will not be the same life as I once lived. The recovery process has changed me too much. Inside me there is something that has been awakened that once was asleep.

I once went through life obliviously carefree. My struggles have given me consciousness I never had when I was young. This is the essence of the human experience in it's rawest form. We go through life blind; because we can't see we stumble and fall. We continue on like this until light shines down on the path we follow. We become free of illusion.

It is then our consciousness can guide us. This state of disillusionment comes with a steep price. It will however serve you. You will be capable to understand hurt in a way you couldn't before. With that comes empathy and with that sharing and advocacy. In your awakened state you can choose to live a more purposeful life. You have grown and can see your world in a new light.

No comments:

Post a Comment