Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Journaling is Fun


Much can be said about the health benefits of journaling. In journaling you will learn about and understand better your own feelings and experiences. You will learn to listen better to your inner voice. You will also be better able to express yourself to others. This could be helpful when you are seeking support.

You will have to be diligent and patient to see results from time you spend journaling. You may want to get a work book or look up "writing prompts" on the internet. Writing prompts will help you write meaningful entries in your journal. If you write every day you will in time to see a change in what you put on the pages of your journal.

I often times wrote about workouts I had done and intended to do when I started journaling. I would otherwise write about things I was going to do in the very near future. As I developed as a writer my journal entries became more personal. My writing reflected the prominent issues in my life e.g. schizophrenia, impoverishment and relationships I share with others. I also started to share more personal stories on this blog.

There is more than just one type of journal you can create. There is the diary which is an account of your daily living. You could also keep a scrap book type journal that may include drawings or pictures and such. I have been considering creating this type of journal myself. I would include notation of chess games I have played in my journal, with notes on key factors in the outcome of the game. I still haven't got around to doing it yet.

Journaling is inexpensive too. You do not need an expensive leather bound journal. In fact in the reading I have done on how to write I have learned that it is better to not own an expensive journal. Having an inexpensive notebook helps you feel free to write whatever is on your mind. You may do an electronic journal with your computer if you would like as well. This will save you the expense of pens. There is an online journaling resource that keeps your entries private called penzu. Penzu organizes your journal entries for you so you may more easily look back over them.

I highly recommend writing to anyone who feels even a little inclined to do so. You will not only see health benefits. You will also feel good that you are doing something that is constructive. Journaling will also improve your mind. I believe that the mind must remain active and that we should all be doing a little more than just reading. Journaling is not just beneficial to your mind and wellbeing it is fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment