Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Support Systems: Who to Go to for Help


It is important to have a strong support system if you are in recovery. Your support system should include peers, family and mental health professionals. It is not enough to just have the supports there- you must be diligent about making use of them. There is no issue too small to share with someone who cares about you.

It is hard for many people to share with others how they feel. I have in the past kept a great deal of my feelings to myself. In part, I didn't think anyone would understand what I was going through. I also felt as if I should be able to handle my circumstances on my own. I have learned the hard way that not sharing my issues with others is a detriment to my wellbeing and livelihood.

I think to make use of those who support you, accepting that you have a mental illness comes first. If you are still in denial about your illness you will likely not recognize warning signs of a possible relapse. You will also want to be cognizant of the warning signs to look out for. Get down on paper things you anticipate experiencing if you begin to slip.

Practice getting support when you are doing well. When you are not doing well it will be easier to seek support if it is common for you to seek support from others. Make getting support from those who you are close to a ritual. Speak to others about anything: good or bad, big or small. Get comfortable with expressing to people the things that are troubling you or bringing you joy.

Ideally, as part of your support system you would go to groups. You will get to speak with others that will understand your issues. You will also be there for them; which has its own therapeutic value. Share your feelings and difficulties as well as your triumphs at these groups. Try to become friends with the other attendees to add to your system of support. They can be helpful to you and you to them just as much.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matti, it's been too long. I find it terrifically ironic that one of the people that had the greatest impact on my life shared un-diagnosed mental illness when we met. I've read nearly every post you've written here and feel I share some of your struggles, although it sounds that schizophrenia is much harder to deal with than bipolar. It encourages me to read articles about fitness as a step in recovery and I'm now heading in that direction. I still haven't been successful at quitting smoking but I've significantly reduced that habit and I know it's not a good thing to try to change too many things about oneself at a time.

    I had my first appointment with a councilor outside of a hospital setting today to talk about my illness and the effects it's had on my life. I realize now that while my 20s may seem like a lost decade there are still many lessons I've learned and that there is still plenty of hope for me to regain control of my life. This article in particular reminds me how important it is to seek out group therapy as it often feels like there is no one out there who "gets me" even those people I am close too. I look forward to finding such a group and can credit this posting in particular as inspiration for that.

    Matt Nabors

    ReplyDelete