Thursday, August 2, 2012

Benefits of Stretching


Benefits of Stretching:



I am sure all of you have heard that you should stretch before and after you workout. I am also sure most of you do not. I myself do not stretch before and after all my workouts. Most of my stretching is done before I run. I have started stretching on my off days just recently. Stretching does not only reduce the risk of injury, however- it also improves athletic performance, circulation, balance and coordination, cardiovascular health, and reduces lower back pain.

As your range of motion increases it allows you to move more freely, decreasing the risk of straining your muscles during a lift or a jog. Stretching increases circulation and this increases muscle nourishment, speeds recovery from muscle or joint injuries, and removes waste byproducts from your body. Athletic performance is increased with an increase in your range of motion and flexibility. Some athletes need to be extremely flexible, such as martial artists and gymnasts. As far as the connection between cardiovascular health and stretching, recent studies have found that blood pressure can be decreased by stretching. To say the least, it would be beneficial to increase the amount of stretching you include in your routine.

You can stretch too much in my opinion. I have in the past made great efforts to increase my flexibility stretching for about twenty minutes a day. Unfortunately my range of motion decreased due to over exertion. I now recommend stretching for about 5 to 10 minutes before and after rigorous physical activity, such as running, weight lifting, and sports. You may also want to stretch once or twice a week for 10 to 15 minutes at a time to increase your range of motion. I have been told by a personal trainer that while stretching you should ideally hold stretches for 30 seconds. In my own opinion 10 seconds should be the minimum time holding a position.

There are more ways of increasing your flexibility than just touching your toes. Static stretching is more commonly seen than other types of stretching but it is important to have diversity in your routine. You could include dynamic stretching, which is movement that takes you to the extent of your range of motion, such as leg swings. You may want to search YouTube for dynamic stretching to see examples. You do not want to bounce when doing static stretches.

Yoga is also great for your flexibility; you may want to do 1 or 2 yoga classes a week as part of your regimen. A great way to increase your flexibility is by meditating in either the half lotus or full lotus positions. The full lotus requires tremendous flexibility but the half lotus is an attainable goal for anyone in decent shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment